"As of October 1, we intend not to allow such mass gatherings of people as city or harvest festivals where it is especially difficult to ensure and monitor compliance with safety requirements," he posted on Facebook after the government's COVID-19 crisis response committee discussed measures to stem the spread of the virus.
"At the COVID-19 management committee's meeting today, we were told by medical professors once again that the key weapon against the virus is our own responsible behavior," Skvernelis wrote.
"Therefore, I am asking everyone again: distance, hand hygiene, and face coverings – and wearing them correctly! And, of course, we must avoid unnecessary contacts," he added.
The committee also decided to step up safety measures at hospitals and test medical workers "as much as is needed", he said.
Lithuania reported 179 new coronavirus cases over the weekend, including 99 on Saturday, the biggest daily rise since its first registered infection in February.
Currently, a hospital in the northern town of Radviliskis is the biggest coronavirus hotspot in the country.
Lithuania has so far confirmed a total of 3,814 coronavirus infections, including 1,511 active cases and 2,199 recoveries.
Eighty-seven people have died of COVID-19 in the country, and another 17 coronavirus-infected patients have died of other causes.